The Veil Was Torn

00:32 seab458 0 Comments

"His body the bread
His blood the wine
Broken and poured out all for love
The whole earth trembled
And the veil was torn
Love so amazing
Love so amazing, yeahl"

         - Jesus Messiah, Chris Tomlin

Jesus died to pay for my sin.


This hits me hard. In my Christian Theology class, we had to read and write a report on a book called "The Cross of Christ" which talks about how and why the cross and its consequences are central to the Christian faith. When I read it my mind was blown.

God didn't just send his son to save the world. He gave him up freely. He had no obligation to do so. His holiness did not allow him to go near sin. Jesus filled in the gap between our sin and God's holiness so we can enter into His presence.

Matthew 27:51 says, "At that moment the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, rocks split apart..."

The veil in the temple separated the common folk from the place called the Holy of Holies, which was where the Presence of God was. This place was only visited once a year by the High Priest, and when he went in he was required to wear a rope around his ankle just in case he died from being in the presence of God. 


Since I can remember, this has been my favorite part of the Easter story. It amazes me that when Jesus finally said "it is finished" the partition that separated everyone from God was destroyed. Because of Jesus we are now allowed to enter the presence of God without fearing death or destruction. This is amazing! 


I love the significance in the veil being torn. There is a huge gap that separates us from God. That gap is sin. We could never bridge this gap on our own. But when Jesus died, the cross formed a bridge that now connects us to God forever!!! I can't help using multiple exclamation marks!! This is so exciting! 

I love Easter, but more than just loving chocolate and the easter productions that go on in church, I am in awe more and more every year at what God did to save people who he knew would still be rejecting Him 2000 years later. 

God's love is amazing. 

This weekend I'm heading to a retreat with the rest of the students from Newfoundland that are at tyndale. I've been preparing my heart for what's in store these next couple of days, and I truly think that God is going to do some crazy amazing things. I'm praying that He will use me, and that I will be willing and ready to do what He is calling me to do. And I'm asking anyone who reads this (which could be no one, really i have no idea) to be praying for the group. 

This weekend, take time out of being busy with church, family, and stuffing your face with chocolate, and truly thank God for what He has done for us. 


- Sarah 


0 comments: